Google and Bing have maintained leadership among search engines as a means of positioning brands, products and services on the Internet. And that is why they have a space reserved in most digital strategies aimed at finding consumers in an efficient way. Companies look forthem. But the scene has expanded with new possibilities and search engines are no longer the only ingredients for successful positioning on the Internet. Those new possibilities are, neither more nor less, social networks.
What is the real importance of social networks in positioning?
Its ability to influence the Search Engine Result Page, that is, the position of the company on the results page of a search engine. Because the consumer is increasingly present on social networks: contributes to generating noise about our brand.
interact with her. decide your preferences. share your preferences with other consumers. In addition, both the information and the data derived from this exchange of information and preferences are today closely related to the SERP:
Google has socialized.
Bing has socialized.
Once again, as always, on the Internet everything is connected to everything, relationships are infinite and infinitely interesting.What has Google done to socialize? Demonstrate that you continue to be at the forefront of innovation with new services:
1. Google Social Search: the social search engine. It allows to track the online profiles of the user and their environment from her, creating a list marked by their preferences.
An option called +1 (similar to Facebook Like) appears in every Google results list. By clicking +1, that result is rated as a favorite and Google Social Search will index it in searches by users on your network.
2. Optimization of results related to Facebook and Twitter.Results on Google incorporate status updates from Facebook fan pages, Friendfeed, Google Buzz, MySpace, and Twitter tweets.
3. YouTube, Blogger, Knol, Orkut, Picasa and Aardvark.Social networking services that have been acquired by Google to expand its offer in different fields.
4. Google Buzz.
A social network between Gmail users. With Google Buzz, Gmail users share status, photos, videos and conversations in real time.
5. Google Wave.
The most revolutionary service created by Google to lead the social movement, although at the moment the results have not been very favorable. It is a system for collaborative communication, which allows sharing conversations in real time by adding videos, images and files.
What has Bing done to socialize?
Bing has diversified its services less, but has made a sure move toward socialization. Instead of trying to compete with Google’s innovation and leadership skills, it has sought out the most powerful ally it could find: Facebook.
In this association, Bing uses the preferences of users on Facebook when indexing the results, provided that at that time the user is connected to the social network. The socialization of search engines opens an opportunity for brands to improve their SERP through the combination of strategies, which should be defined in the medium and long term.
What to do first?
Define goals correctly on social media and SERP.
Define investment in both media.
What other steps are important in defining the strategy?
3. Research the market and the competition.
Before defining our strategy in social networks, it is convenient to know what the brands of the competition have done or are doing, as well as to investigate what results they have obtained with their activities in social networks and, if possible, with their SERP positioning .
4. Define how the brand’s strategy will be implemented in social networks. Before defining actions, it is essential to start from the brand’s communication strategy, which must always be the same on social networks and in the rest of the media used for communication.
5. Decide which channels will be used.
Based on the objectives of the brand, you have to choose the social networks where you want to be present. As a result of the socialization of Google and Bing, we must consider Facebook and Twitter as indispensable channels.
6. Generate an initial base of contacts selected from the databases of the company’s target.
7. Carry out a suitable selection process to appoint the community manager.
8. Begin the conversation by monitoring the influence of the same in search engines at all times, to investigate the effectiveness of the actions in the SERP and social networks of the brand.
As a marketer, faith in the end game is every bit as important. There comes a point in many campaigns when the results that you’re seeking may take a while to arrive and doubts can creep in as to whether they ever will. This is where a patient, confident approach will pay dividends.
We’re in the run up week to the World Cup final. Of course, England went out a while ago (enough said about that!) but for the 2 countries still involved, this is the pressure end of the competition when the winner takes it all. A team may be just one win away from a World Cup victory, but expectation and hope can still be undermined by a lack of belief at the final hurdle